Wednesday 15 February 2012

Half Term Knitting

Michaela posted the other day about having a Work In Progress Week where she is going to tackle her many different projects over the half term break.

This made me think about my WIP or NLIP (no longer in process) knitting projects and I worked out that I had 3 first socks on the needles


 Filey, Broad Ripple and a newly cast on Monkey,

 2 dormant second socks - Embossed Leaves and Autumn Leaves - one part knitted and one frogged because it got all tangled (and I had only done the ribbing so it was easier to start again)


and four odd socks that have been in the sock basket and in daily wear for the last couple of years (we don't mind odd socks in this family).  A plain DK sock, a circle sock, a 9-5 and a plain 4ply. When I thought about knitting their partners I realised I was actually feeling quite enthusiastic about it!  So much time has passed since I knit the first sock that knitting a second will almost be like tackling a whole new project - the yarn will feel new and interesting and so will the pattern.

So what I should be doing this half term is casting on those second socks and tackling a bit of each project each day rather than pushing ahead with the two newest socks - but I bet you can guess what I'd rather do.

And at the same time I am steadily unravelling this scarf..............

I always loved the wool (a prize from Moogsmum in Michaela's diet raffle a few years ago) but never really liked the finished scarf partly because of the way the colours pooled (although I didn't know that was what it was called at the time) but mostly because of the mistake in the middle and the fact that it didn't "wear" nicely - I prefer longer triangles like hitchhiker or baktus where you can wrap them round your neck.

I think the colours will look much better in a pair of socks, don't you?

P.S I meant to show you my Valentine's messages from Mr Locket because I wanted to keep a record of them as they made me laugh!


Mr Locket clearly knows a bit about recycling too.

And this was the parting message at the very back of the card............
:o)

12 comments:

French Knots said...

The scarf wool is lovely, such scrummy colours. And of course we can all see you are very short of hand knitted socks.......!xx

julie said...

Well as you do socks so very well I think that's an excellent idea! Love the idea of wearing odd socks - so much more fun! Happy knitting Lucy xxx

periwinkle said...

I agree, odd socks are fun but if you finish 4 more socks then you can have more odd pairs :-)

Thimbleanna said...

That's a good lot of socks Ms. Lucy! Your colors are all so pretty. I only have one set of socks in progress, but they've been sitting for far too long. Thanks for the inspiration to get back to them!

wonderwoman said...

i love odd socks and never wear a matching pair - your socks look brilliant and i love your valentine card!

xxx

rachelmp said...

Look at those beautiful socks! I hope you enjoy making their other halves. I think I might blog the one that I am working on today too.

dottycookie said...

Happy knitting, Loosey ;-)

I moved a half done pair of socks from one drawer to another last week, and that's the most action they've seen in a year ...

Little House By The Sea said...

I love the socks, still haven't plucked up the courage to knit any though.
Hope you have had a lovely week.

Sarah x

ladydi said...

Socks are the most fun! (At least first socks are; second socks not so much)

Julie said...

What a lot of socks! They are much more fun when not worrying about matching. Your valentines is wonderful. Juliex

Helen said...

Just fabulous Lucy!! What a gorgeous Mr Locket you have there too,
Love Helen xx

WendyBee said...

What a good idea! Get those second socks knit! Partially knitted socks have nothing to offer -- a few hours of knitting takes them into the land of serving you, instead of nagging you and taking up space. (I know all about this -- I can think of 3 (second!)socks which are done but for the last inch! 1 put on hold because I needed to look up kitchener stitch (again!). 1 because I ran out of yarn (have since gotten my hands on some). and the final one, ran out, can't find, but so what if I close the toe with another color? Still haven't done it though... But that said, you have inspired me to clean up these odds and ends!