Sunday 26 September 2010

Pretty Happy Things................... Again!

It's funny because I was wondering what to call this post and thought to myself, well I've got pretty things to show and they make me happy so I'll call it "pretty happy things" but as I started typing the title it popped up so I've obviously written another post fairly recently with the same title!  Never mind.  It still fits!


Now I've clearly developed a passion for all things Cath Kidston (probably because her things are pretty and they make me happy!!)  So I spent some of my birthday money from my lovely in-laws on some more mugs and a teapot to go with the cherry mug that my mum and dad bought me a couple of months ago.  


I love how nice tea is from these mugs and although the teapot is a pretty bad pourer the tea tastes absolutely perfect.

When we were on holiday we regularly made pots of tea and it reminded me of how much I love the ritual of sitting down together and pouring out mugs of tea rather than just sticking teabags in a cup.  It's got something to do with the "being together doing the same thing at the same time, sharing, family type of thing".  Uh-oh! That makes me sound really mushy! ;o)

Anyway, moving swiftly on, when we were on holiday I bought a plain brown teapot so Dot said she would make me a teacosy with some of her lovely birthday fabrics as her first project on her new sewing machine.


I love it - although the children seem to think it is a hat!  Dot has blogged about it over here.

I went to my lovely local wool shop Ring-a-Rosie a couple of weeks ago and bought some lovely new goodies - including a fabulous "Nadel Box" - now every knitter needs a nadel box you know!

 

So I have been busily multi-tasking with various different knitting and crochet projects and have just finished off another bright cushion for the new sofas using these lovely cotton glaces from Rowan.



I managed to find the perfect charity shop jumper for the back and have just finished it all off this afternoon.

And now I'm not sure whether I like the front or the back best!

I've also finished my first "Monkey" sock using the lovely wool I bought in Hay on Wye - and I've even cast on the second although I make no promises about actually finishing it any time soon! 


The lovely blue Rialto 4 ply is for an Ishbel which has unfortunately been pushed out of the way by crochet plans.  Sometimes I want to knit and other times I just have to crochet - especially when these beautiful stripes start appearing...................


But now I have to go and  make an Egyptian costume for Daisy.

For a school play?

Nope.

For a history day at school?

Nope.

For a 10 second photo shoot for the PTA calendar! 

Pah! 

Do they not realise how much time and hassle parents have to go through to produce costumes for a Roman soldier and an Egyptian just for a calendar photo?  

Fortunately a friend has all the Roman gear we need for Fred but I've had to spend a fortune on braid and gold ribbon to make Daisy's dress.  Can you tell I'm not exactly delighted?

Sorry - shouldn't have ended the post on a non-pretty-happy subject! So here's a picture of three very pretty and happy things back in June!


'Til next time, Lucy x

P.S. the quilt in the previous post fetched £95 at auction last week - I'm so pleased somebody else appreciated it!

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great teacosy, lovely bright fabric.
I love your sock, it is awesome.

melanie said...

Hiya, you live in Sunderland dont you? well, I think you do, anyway, could you please tell me ring a rosie shop is, I would love to go and have a look around in there :) xxxx

Mrs Moog said...

whether it pours well or not, I now have severe teapot envy! I'm within five miinutes of a CK shop tomorrow but don't get paid untit Thursday - aaaagh!

Gorgeous happy post Locket. Dot's teacosy is quite beautiful, clever girl :o)

I also have more than a bit of crochet cushion envy. It makes your groen-up sofa look a lot more you.....in a good way!

xxxx

Ali said...

What is a Nadel box?? And I like the teapot thing on holiday too, but never seem to get it to translate back home.

Patti said...

I always use a teapot - don't like tea made in a mug! Love your new one.

don't get me started on the pta calendar. I've bought a fez for the may birthday boy which he can wear with an old kaftan of mine, haven't got a clue what to do about the november child who has to have indian costume. I can't sew! I think we need to let the PTA know this is hacking us off. I don't mind for a project, but a poxy calendar is a bit much. (rant rant)

See you tomorrow night?

Gina said...

What a beautiful teacosy. I always use a tea pot 9a Cath Kidson one too) even for only one cup. Love your cushion!

Jackie said...

As the only tea drinker in the house I wish I could share a teapot with someone. If we have visitors I get out he big pot but the tea always seems to taste horrible.
Must be lack of practice.

Pom Pom said...

Oh how lovely and your children in the yellow kitchen sing of sunshine. I love Cath Kidston, too. Sadness. We don't have it here in the states. I'm very blessed to have a sweet friend in the UK who shares with me. Your tea pot, mugs, tea cozy, and monkey socks all win the pretty prize for today! Happy, happy, Lucy!

Fenland Textile Studio said...

I love the teapot cover. The monkey socks are also fab. I think I need to get back to my sock knitting asap. There is nothing as nice as hand made socks in Winter!!

dottycookie said...

Well, that was a pretty post that made me happy too!

I've been making an Egyptian costume too, though ours is for a history day. And scarily, I have to make one for myself too as I'm going in to help out ...

French Knots said...

Love the mugs and teapots, especially the one with the cars on. I don't drink tea or coffee but mugs are such a quick way to get a 'pretty fix'!
Why not let the pta know it's a pain doing the costumes? I'm on our school pta and would hate to think the projects and events we plan and run were causing hassle. Do they have a suggestion box, then you wouldn't have to raise it in person? x

Lina said...

Well someone's been pretty with all that making and shopping! Love that it all colour co-ordinates!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

There are lots of lovely pretty things in that post..the tea cosy is delightful! And you are right, there is something very nice about sitting down to a fresh pot of tea...something I must do more often!

Jan said...

I love all your prettyhappy things they are soooooooo erm pretty and happy ,and just look at that lovely tea cosy wow ..love Jan xx

Little House By The Sea said...

Lots of lovely things.

Sarah x

periwinkle said...

you;ve been a busy girl Mrs L - that cushion looks great on the new settee .. Nadel Box , something to do with socks? Glad the quilt fetched so much :-)

Michaela said...

£95? Is that all? That quilt was incredible, worth far more than that. Bugger, wish I'd have tried to do a phoine bid (not that I could have afforded that much anyway, but what a bargain someone's got!)

This post has just too much gorgeousness in it - your new tea cosy is wonderful, clever Dot. All that yarn? Want, covet, jealous. Isn't Monkey a great pattern? I loved my monkey socks, sadly long since worn out, but I really loved them.

And Lucy. Are you really sure about Ishbel? It drove me NUTS and I hated knitting it... but I have to say, it's one of my favourite knitted things in my wardrobe now. I wish you the very best of British with it!

Kitty said...

Never heard of a Nadel box? Am I an ignoramus? Lovely things in this post - your Dot is such a talented girl. I use a teapot every day too. :) x

quinn said...

Lovely tea cozy and very happy-making mugs and teapot and cushion and...yes, apparently every knitter DOES need that mysterious nadel box!
I hope your costuming endeavors turn into more fun than bother by the time everyone is ready for their close-ups :)

marit said...

Pretty, happy post indeed! I use a teapot if I get guests- and sometimes when I'm alone too, tea is just so much better when made with "proper" tea!

Dot has made you a very pretty teacosy- clever girl!

Haven't tried Monkeys yet...you've used a lovely yarn for it.

Cute pillow too.

Have a lovely week:-)

Jodie said...

Locket, I had to make a pot of tea to get through this post...knitting, teapots, kids, costumes.... I love it !

ladydi said...

Is Nadel Box another spelling of Needle Box for storing your knitting needles? I love the way you made your birthday goodies last and last. The granny cushion is gorgeous, and I love what you did with the back. I hope the finished calendar makes it worth the hassle; a keepsake for years to come?

Thimbleanna said...

Awww, looks at all the adorable little Lockets! Dot did a fabulous job on the tea cozy -- Yay for her! All your goodies are just beautiful -- just beautiful! I love that cute little nadel box too!

wonderwoman said...

lovely post Lucy and the tea cosy is gorgeous! Obviously following in her mum's footsteps! I have a few teapots but never use them, so have now decided to stop being lazy and just dunking a tea bag!!

xx

monda-loves said...

there's plenty of happy pretty things here. I love it all - the cushion, the cosy, the cake mmmm.

Monda
x

Keepapi Creative said...

Its all so lovely I can't think which to comment on first! I love the cushion. whilst my daughter was off school the last few days I taught her granny squares. This will inspire her! (and me) I really like the way the ribbing on the jumper has two directions. Makes it really interesting. How has this latest cushion gone down with Daisy?!
Clever girl with that teapot cosy. Amazingly smart.
And what lovely kids you have!
Jacs x

Lulu said...

such beautiful things..

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Me again... just wanted to let you know I'm having a little giveaway on my blog for the UK only...and I thought it might be up your street....or even up your street for the kids.

TTFN

Ally Jay said...

What sweet things. I love a pot of tea as well nothing nicer than sitting by a roaring fire with tea from a teapot and hot crumpets. Love the owl fabric on your tea cosy and very envious ( in a nice way of course) over your yarn purchases.

julie said...

Yep, pretty happy things sums it up perfectly. I feel happier after seeing them - especially Dot's gorgeous teacosy and your beautiful new cushion. And what better way to start the day than with a good strong cup of tea in a Cath Kidston mug - I have the cherry one too - it's my favourite for the first cuppa of the day. Nice to catch up with you again x

Charlie P said...

WOW! The Lockets have been very busy since I last popped in. It's been lovely to go through all the posts I've missed whilst in the MA cocoon...and are you blonde now?!?! It suits you very well indeed. I'm especially jealous of your pebble-tastic beach day and book-tastic trip. Looks like Dot's going to be just as fab a seamstress as you are too :-)

Twiggy said...

What a lot of lovely makes. Are we going to see you in the Egyptian costume :)
Twiggy x

silverpebble said...

I HAVE looked at this post and thought Oooh and Aaah and 'lovely'. I think I wrote part of a comment. You know the rest.

I wanty want that teapot Mrs L. It's gorgeous.

How are those little Lockets? My largest small P is learning to read and write. She's close to being able to write back to Dot! Send her thanks again for such a lovely postcard x

Penny said...

The cushion is lovely - very bright.

What a daft idea about the calendar. Yes, it will make a nice calendar - but it's a lot of effort for the parents. It might be all right if you have one child and/or are good at making costumes...

Ravenhill said...

A delight to visit your blog! Wow, it is most enchanting with all the bright and cheery colors and your amazing eye! I think I could move right in! Thank you for this wonderful inspiration!
emily xo

Annie said...

Lots of lovely things there Lucy, and I LOVE the Cath Kidson Tea pot and cups

joanie said...

What beautiful images. I love your cushion with the charity shop backing, adorable. But that last photo - priceless!