Monday 30 April 2012

Making Spring - despite the weather!

Phew! That was a long break between posts - sorry about that.

I just haven't been very creative lately as I have been far more interested in my running than anything else - a major shock to the system I can tell you! I can now run for 3.5 miles without stopping which is truly incredible.

But I got something in the post recently that not only needs to be shared with you all but also helped inspire me to be a bit creative again.......

I was out in the greenhouse sowing seeds when the parcel arrived which was very appropriate..........

and I knew I was in for a treat when I spotted this little lady on the outside of the box...........


and this beautifully wrapped parcel inside...........


which contained all sorts of garden-y treats and treasures from lovely Julie!


sorry for the awful photo, I've lost my camera and had to use my phone - but can you see all the super packets of seeds, the copper labels and wooden labels, the notebook and scissors, the seeds from Julie's own garden and most excitingly of all my very own LCR hedgehog and special seedling-covered phone case!


There were a lot of excited squeals as I discovered each treasure and Fred and Dot were lurking, hoping to snaffle the hedgehog and phone case but I fended them off!  They are MINE!

Every time I use my phone case it makes me smile and my hedgehog is sitting on the kitchen work top with a collection of toadstool houses, looking very much at home.

Thank you so much Julie - the parcel was simply delightful and greatly brightened a very soggy day!

And the seedlings on the phone case have helped me push a creative idea that has been slowly germinating into fruition..........

I have my winter quilt (designed by Syko) on my kitchen wall, but I decided I needed to be able to change it with the seasons.  Therefore a Spring quilt was urgently needed but I couldn't quite get the design to work in my head.  Then a very simple plan came to me and I finally got myself sorted to put it into practice yesterday afternoon.






It is inspired by my seedlings in the greenhouse, by Julie's phone cover, by simple raindrop quilts that I think I have seen on Syko's blog (with an umbrella, if I'm remembering correctly) and by this gorgeous book that we gave Dot for her second birthday...........



I currently have the quilt in progress pinned to my winter quilt so I can see it. I've had to fold it up a bit in the middle as it was out of proportion but I am just going to have a seam there and hope it looks artistic!  I plan to add about a 2 inch border of patchwork in various fabrics that I have pulled out of my "green" box.  So it will be a very simple quilt - but already it is making me happy :-)

I just wish some of the seedlings in the greenhouse were as healthy looking - most are growing very well but some are shrivelling up and dying and I don't know why.  Hopefully enough will survive so I can start to plant these rather bare beds..........



15 comments:

Ali said...

Lucky girl! That's a gorgeous parcel of goodies to put a spring in your step.

And your quilt is looking great already.

Catherine said...

How exciting! That is a lovely selection of goodies :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. I have failed miserably with planting our own veggies this year. Haven't got anything in and last night the (plastic) greenhouse blew over. Oh well.

Gina said...

That's a lovely selection of garden goodies... lets hope for some sunshine as well as rain. Quilt is looking good!

Thimbleanna said...

What a lovely parcel of goodies, you lucky girl! Your garden beds look gorgeous so far -- mine is full of weeds. And your new little quilt is brilliant. I love how you've combined inspiration from several different places!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a lovely package! You lucky duck!

Julie said...

gorgeous goodies and very gorgeous quilt - it will be fantastic...and i'm sure it will be inspiring to have hanging on your wall. Juliex p.s. very well done with the running!

julie said...

Ooooh what a sweet little quilt Lucy - perfect for this time of year! Some of my seedlings have been dying back too and I think my problem might be 'damping off' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_off
I think I've been a bit too attentive and overwatered them - mine have died off from the bottom leaves upwards. Luckily some are still ok - hope this helps.
I'm so glad you liked the package - I was so impressed with your garden makeover and the chance to send some gardeny goodies was too tempting to resist - sadly the hedgie won't be much use in keeping your slugs at bay but I'm glad he's found a lovely home amongst the toadstool houses! Happy gardening and running xxx

dottycookie said...

Wow, that's serious running - I am really, really impressed.

And lucky you with Julie's goodies - gorgeous!

Quinn said...

Such a lovely surprise package! Take that inspiration and..well...run with it! :)

dragonfly said...

What a fab parcel of loveliness! I have a brother or sister to your little hedgehog in my kitchen : )
Your garden looks amazing - good luck with your sowing!

ladydi said...

Wow - I'm so impressed with your running! Nicely done. Such fun gardening treasures, and a very thoughtful present.

Helen said...

Oh your garden looks lovely Lucy, I hope it stops raining soon though don't you?
Love
Helen x

Mrs Moog said...

Hello Locket!! Trashy told me you'd posted and I had to come and look. What a beautiful parcel of treasures from Julie :o)
Your garden is looking gorgeous, even with bare beds and I bet things will grow like mad in that lovely soil.
Your quilt is fabulous! What a wonderful idea to have seasonal quilts - I love it!
Not even going to mention the running.....you know how scary I find that ;o)

xxx

French Knots said...

What a perfect parcel of lovliness from Julie, very inspiring.
Your garden looks amazing even before you've got the veg planted out!

wonderwoman said...

i haven't blogged for ages but will be doing so soon! What lovely gifts from Julie and such a cute hedgehog! Your quilt is just gorgeous! xxxx