Thursday 28 June 2012

Midsummer medley - but where on earth is the sun?

Sorry it has been so long since my last post - I just don't seem to be doing very much that is blog-worthy apart from my running which is going on here.
 
In the last couple of months we've had Daisy and Fred's birthdays.  Daisy was very lucky and her birthday was on the last weekend of May when the weather was glorious but I don't think the sun has shone for more than half an hour since then :-(  My parents needed house-sitters that weekend so we took two of Daisy's friends with us for a sleepover and they had a fabulous time cooking, playing rounders and messing about in a huge paddling pool - and decorating Daisy's birthday cakes..........



Fred's birthday was just over a week later - and fairly wet - but we persuaded him that you could still eat ice-cream on days when the sun wasn't shining (!) and took him to a local ice-cream parlour where we all indulged in giant sundaes.

For his party we had three friends round and they played Monopoly

which they really enjoyed - particularly Fred who has only recently discovered Monopoly and absolutely loves playing

this is him when he's winning!!

Daisy made Fred the most amazing dinosaur birthday cake without any help at all - and it tasted as delicious as it looked.

But I can't believe my baby is now 10!

As far as crafting is concerned I seem to have hit a real brick wall.  I don't want to knit, I don't want to sew and I don't want to crochet.  It is most unusual but I find I'm quite happy to sit and watch telly in the evenings with idle hands which would have driven me to distraction previously.  Maybe it's because I'm so focused on my running and can't manage to have more than one interest at a time or maybe it's as my mother suggests and I'm just tired from running and need a rest?

The garden is growing nicely - as are the weeds, but the weather hasn't been good enough to spend any time out there lately which is a shame.  Plants I've grown have started to flower and the veg are growing but there are a lot of seedlings that need planting out.

So, not much news but I thought I ought to pop in and say hello!

Lucy x

16 comments:

Julie said...

Hello to you! Sun certainly isn't here either! Love the birthday celebrations. We haven't tried monopoly with the kids, I'd actually forgotten about it but I think they'd love it. Juliex

dottycookie said...

Hello Mrs Locket! I've just peeped at your running blog and you have hugely impressed me. I'm still at the stage of trying to make myself get out and walk every day, let alone run. I'm utterly pathetic - you put me to shame!

Our garden veg patch is doing pretty well - we have eaten the first courgettes tonight, yum! And we have you to thank because if you hadn't gone for it we never would have, so thank you!

itsjustperi said...

Hey Lucy, hi to you too, belated Birthday greetings they grow up so fast.. my two will be 5 and 8 in the next couple of weeks. What about that rain tonight phew, we were lucky and got hardly anything .. hope you are ok where you are x

Ali said...

Happy belated birthdays! That sundae looks good. And mine are big Monopoly fans too.

Have utterly fallen off the running bandwagon because all my routes are bogs after all this rain. That's my excuse anyway.

Annie said...

So nice to hear from you again, despite no crafting. I agree, if you've been running, you need a rest. I wish I could run, it just makes me cross. We have just broken up for mid year holidays for 2 weeks, so I am looking forward to being home, and pruning my roses. Sorry, the sun is not hiding over here!!

wonderwoman said...

Lovely to hear from you Lucy and am well impressed with your running - have tried it but don't like it, much prefer being on a bike! Our whole garden is a mass of weeds as we decided to give it a year off!!!

xxxxx

Gina said...

Lovely to hear your news... and belated birthday wishes to the two youngest Lockets

julie said...

Hello again Mrs, it's nice to catch up with your news. Happy belated birthday to the 2 youngest Lockets - sounds like they both had super birthdays. Hopefully we will all get some sun soon so we can all enjoy our gardens! Keep up the running - it's very impressive!

Kitty said...

Lovely to 'see' you, Lucy. A belated happy birthday to your youngest lockets. Well done on the running - that's brilliant. x

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Good to catch up on your news :o) Sounds like a busy household with all those birthdays :o)

ladydi said...

If you could just sprinkle a bit of your rain our way, our brown grass would appreciate it. I've hit a crafting wall as well, but we'll both get back to it one day. So good to hear from you again!

Thimbleanna said...

It's always wonderful to see you pop in Lucy! Looks like you're having fun, even if you are tired from running LOL! Happy Belated Birthdays to your sweeties!

Sreekala N Nayar said...

Hi Lucy,

Hey, I think running and gardening are two great interests to have, so it doesn't matter if you are not turning out crafty things too. Do put up some pics of your garden - even if it is weedy!!!

Mrs Moog said...

Blimey Locket, if I was doing all that running I'd be good for nothing else! Give yourself a break and the crafty stuff will come back when it needs to.

Happy happy birthdays to Fred and Daisy and I'm most impressed with those fabulous cakes - what a clever bunch of little Lockets!

Monster adores Monopoly but is saddled with a family who rarely play it with him. I don't have the stamina for all that property buying and end up broke after the first couple of rounds paying rent to everyone else!

xxx

Twiggy said...

Mrs Locket, I've just popped over to your running blog and can't tell you how impressed I am.
I am totally unfit and after a health MOT this year decided to buy some running gear - it still has the tags on it - oops!!
I will read your blog in depth for inspiration - keep up your excellent work !!
Twiggy x
PS Happy belated Birthday Fred and great cakes !!

Twiggy said...

oops and Happy Birthday Daisy
twiggy x