Strips it is!
Thanks for all your advice on my father-in-law's quilt. I went with the strips - which is what I really wanted to do all along before I dithered! Here is the finished quilt top - it's not very accurate and unfortunately the border fabric is rather stretchy so it didn't really behave very well when I was sewing it on. But I don't think Grandpa Biscuit is going to complain.
Daisy has been at a friend's house today so we have had a day of only 2 children - so Fred built his wooden castle and played with daddy while Dorothy and I finally put together the doll that we have been making for about 4 years! She has sadly lost one leg over the years of construction so we just hope she is good at hopping!