Thursday 20 August 2009

Sewing Room Fun

I've been busily working in the sewing room trying to get some presents made for Dot's birthday so it is all top secret for now, but I have also been doing some creating with the Little Lockets and I thought you'd like to see what we have been up to.

They each took it in turns to come in and help design something for me to sew for them and in Dot's case she actually did most of the sewing herself.

Being an eco-friendly girl she wanted to make a fabric shopping bag so that we use fewer plastic bags. This is the reversible bag we came up with - a bit on the long side but useful nonetheless!


The children have all been spending a lot of time drawing Manga style pictures this holiday and so it seemed a good idea to translate some of the designs into applique .

Daisy wants me to make her a new school bag so this is the beginning of it:


and this is the picture once the stitching had been done - still far from bag-like though!

Fred and I worked on a T-shirt design by borrowing the head from one cartoon character and adding it to the body of another to create this little boy:


Fred chose all the fabrics and coloured in his picture to show me how it should be.

and here he is modelling the finished t-shirt at the beach - you wouldn't believe it had only cost 75p from Asda would you?

We then turned his lizard stitchery - that he did two years ago when he was 5 and we were on holiday in Italy - into a cushion


Again Fred chose the fabrics and layout and then had fun making patterns of his own.


I also took a photo for those doubting-Thomases amongst you who don't believe that it is possible for me to keep my sewing room tidy.


This is the only "mess" ever left in the whole room at the end of each day!

Impressed?

I know I am!

But I'm less impressed with the Lucy Locket method of re-styling my own clothes.....................


Hmmmm, not quite the result I was after even though Mr Locket tried his very best and didn't complain that he was being made late for work.

Do you think it would have been better to take the t-shirt off first before cutting the sleeve???

22 comments:

Carin said...

While the stuff you and the kids did is wonderful I think the t-shirt sleeve is my favorite ROFL!!!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Is there enough room for you all in there? Glad to see you are enjoying your new space and that there is some productivity going on :o)

Dotty said...

You have such talented kids.
I love the green fabric used by your daughter in her bag.

I think i need to follow suit and leave my crafting space as tidy as yours.

Thimbleanna said...

You and the little Lockets are always having so much creative fun! I love the all the new goodies. Is Mr. Locket loving the fact that all your crafty bits are now in a room of their own?

Gina said...

The little lockets obviously share your talent with fabric and thread. What great results in all the projects!

JuliaB said...

Just don't try to iron it before taking it off!!! x

Ali said...

Mr Locket needs to spend a bit more time in the pink room watching and learning methinks!!

wonderwoman said...

what a very talented bunch you are - some lovely pics and i love the T shirt!

xx

Twiggy said...

You are very good staying tidy. What a creative gang you are, the Asda t.shirts are fab aren't they. I bought one for Twiglet I am supposed to be making him an applique t.shirt but keep putting it off. Will have to get the next size up soon :)
twiggy x

Helen said...

Oh your so very clever Lucy!! The t shirt photo's are sooooh funny!! I bet you tidied up for the photo!! Where is the photo of your new chair?
Love Helen x

silverpebble said...

He he! I'll tell you a secret - sometimes I iron my skirts AFTER I've put them on.

Fabulous sewiness Mrs L. Those little ones will have empori(a?) of their own one day. Hmm, had to raid the memory banks for that one. GCSE Latin anyone?

Anonymous said...

The sewing rooms looks great and tidy!! As I saw the scizzors cutting your shirt... I did think... hope you're not planning on dyeing the shirt RED with blood! So maybe next time you need to strip off before you cut your arms off!!!!

periwinkle said...

wow, you have all been busy - Fred's T-shirt and lizard are great . Just what were you doing with your T-shirt though lol ?

Mama said...

LOVE that you get so crafty with all three of the childers :) Can I ship TLG over for a few lessons? Our place is too tiny for dragging out all of the sewing stuff.

ps: Tell Dot I'll be her first customer when she opend the etsy shop!

French Knots said...

Perhaps Mr L was cutting wonkily so he doesn't get asked to do it again?!
What a crafty summer you are all having in the sewing shed.

Unknown said...

I LOVE fred's cushion!

The bags are surely deliberately long so you can carry a french stick in them, it was a clever design feature, was it not?
They look great. Well, it all does!!!

Unknown said...

ok...I tell a lie - the t-shirt looks a bit raggy (yours, not Fred's!)

Quinn said...

Wow! Your kids are so talented - each and every one!

As for Mr. Locket...his work looks better than mine did, the time I modified a t-shirt into a v-neck while I was wearing it. :)

ladydi said...

Oops, sorry I doubted you on the clean room thing. Now I have to go put away my mess. Hey, I just love Fred's shirt and cushion!

Leanne said...

What a talent family you have I especially like Fred's efforts. It is early days on the tidy stacks LOL

dottycookie said...

Slow down Locket, you're making mne feel tired! You have super imaginative children - I wonder where that comes from ;-) I loved this post - just what I needed to read!

Annie said...

Great kid stuff there Lucy - lucky little lockets and I love the beachy header.