Friday 14 August 2009

An Amy Butler Day

Last Tuesday Dotty Locket and I dropped the two littlest Little Lockets off at a friend's house for the day and pootled over to the Fat Quarters to meet AMY BUTLER!!!

It's funny because before I started blogging my taste in fabric would not have included the big and bold styles favoured by AB but constant exposure to all the new colours and designs on other people's blogs has really changed how my eyes see things! You may remember that I chose some lovely fabrics from her Daisy Chain range for Mr Locket to give me for Christmas and part of this stash was turned into a pair of cushions


and the rest have been gradually growing into this quilt which is now ready to be layered and quilted.

Anyway, enough about me.

On to someone FAR more important.

Miss Dotty Locket of course!

As it is Dot's birthday towards the end of this month the outing to see Amy Butler was one of her treats along with the promise that I would buy her some more AB fabric for her new school bag as I seem to have started a tradition of making her one for her birthday each year - see here for this bag (coincidentally the first thing I ever made with an Amy Butler pattern!) and here for last year's version.

These are the ones she has been collecting

So I just need to think of some clever way to use them to make a great new bag!

While we were waiting for Amy Butler's presentation we spotted this pattern

and Dot and I decided that it would be another lovely birthday present if I were to make this for her too. She had already fallen for the fabric used on the pattern cover and we had bought some for her bag but then went back and bought another two and a half metres!


Good job she loves it!

I just hope I can sew the dress well enough (and that I have enough time to do it all as there are several other handmade presents that have been brewing in the back of my mind and there are only 8 days until her birthday!)

And, um, I also bought some more fabric to go with my existing Amy Butler collection!


Anyway, back to the important stuff.

Amy Butler was lovely - very down to earth and friendly and we all received free patterns


and she took the time to sign books and patterns and pose for photos

but, lovely as she is, I don't think that Dot could even begin to compare with the other character that Amy was photographed with.


I mean, we're talking REAL celebrity here.................


of a rather woolly-feathered variety..........


Why yes! None other than Mr Pigeon himself!


Seen here modelling one of Amy's new bag designs

but you will have to wait for Charlie's next post to see the photographic evidence of these A- list celebrities meeting for the first time!

Mr Pigeon also enjoyed the lunch although Charlie had to be very careful to only offer him the cheese sandwich as both egg and meat seemed a little inappropriate for a pigeon!

And there was even time for Mr P to end up behind bars with his old pal Lofty.


Dot and I had a lovely day and meeting Amy Butler was great, but I have to quietly echo Dot's conclusion that seeing Charlie P was definitely the highlight of the day.

19 comments:

Jodie said...

but did you get Mr pigeon's autograph????

silverpebble said...

Wow, what an exciting day. I expect you needed a lie down after all that celebritydom. I think we'll be spying snaps like this in Heat magazine this week.

Ali said...

How lovely to be able to share a passion with your offspring. With the best will in the world, mine will forever be limited to polite interest in my pursuits!
And that Amy B gets around a bit, doesn't she? Perhaps slightly less than Mr Pigeon.

Jo in TAS said...

All the fabrics are gorgeous and I love the dress pattern, just perfect for a summer's day and Dot has excellent taste in fabric. Good luck with the sewing!
Hugs
Jo

Unknown said...

wow - what a great day!!!!!

rachelmp said...

What a fantastic day! I can't wait to see how the bag and dress turn out.

Carin said...

What a fantastic day! The fabric you got is so yummy I can't wait to see dot in her new dress and book bag

trash said...

cor! no-one as famous as that at my Amy Butler day. Did those Mr. Pigeon sign an autograph for her?

JuliaB said...

You're right.. those Amy Butler fabrics do grow on you don't they! And what a lovely pic of Dot with Ms Butler too! She looks like a very nice lady. Sounds like you had a fab day! x

periwinkle said...

If I was about 6 stone lighter I wouldn't mind that dress for myself -- Dot is going to look gorgeous in it ..

Charlie P said...

Ooooh, Mrs.L I'm blushing like mad! Will have to get my skates on and post Mr.P's picture. Have you made a start on the dress yet? It's going to look gorgeous :-)

monda-loves said...

sounds like a fab day. I'm looking forward to seeing the dress in all it's glory - no pressure!

Monda
x

wonderwoman said...

what a coincidence - trashy and i saw Amy yesterday - she is really nice and the talk and slide show were brilliant. Of course i had to buy just a few fabrics!

xx

Thimbleanna said...

How fun to meet Amy Butler! Like you, before blogging, I would never have given the modern prints a second thought, but now, I love lots of them. Can't wait to see Dot's new dress!

Leanne said...

Great pattern and I'm sure you will do it justice. What a nice way to spent a day with your daughter. Looking forward to more pigeon madness.

. said...

Wow. Looks like a fab day. Amy Butler, fabric buying and Mr Pigeon all in one sitting - what more could a crafty blogger wish for?

xMx

Mama said...

Great day out all 'round : ) Aren't you three becoming a posh group?

Unknown said...

Amy Butler AND Mr. Pigeon?? I'm not sure which one I would do more to meet ;-)

sweetjeanette said...

OH I'm envious! And you got an autographed pattern. How special!!! Loved reading your posts!
come see me -
sweetjeanette.blogspot.com