Thursday 8 April 2010

Sew many ideas

My shiny new job (fewer hours, very local, and very interesting) doesn't start for another week (when the children go back to school after the Easter holidays) so for now I am
ON HOLIDAY!!!

And my head is fairly BURSTING with sewing plans and ideas!

I spent the winter cosily knitting - and knitting is fabulously portable so I was able to take it to work each day - but now I have the freedom to think big, sewing-y thoughts - Hurrah!

I have a very big secret project that I can't show you yet (or for quite a long time actually) which is a shame as it is rather clever (for me, anyway) and very beautiful.

But I also have a pin-wheel quilt in my head which I plan to make out of this charm pack of Urban Chiks' Sweet range.


I initially wanted to have a white background as I am currently in love with quilts that have lots of white in them - like my spidersweb blocks


selvedge blocks


and my Christmas ZigZag quilt


but the background of the Charm squares is more cream so white would look awful.

I then went for a bright yellow - trying to move out of my comfort zone - but when I started sewing the pinwheels I just didn't like it at all.


So I am going to play safe and use this beautiful Bella Solid called Blue Raspberry


that I used for the border in my very simple charm pack quilt made from the previous Urban Chiks range called Swell.



My other major sewing project is going to be a slip cover for my new, second-hand IKEA chair.

Even though it is second hand the cream cover is immaculate.


The problem is, I know it will never stay cream in LocketLand!

So I plan to make a heavily quilted cover inspired by SewTakeAHike's brilliant Quilt-As-You-Go-along using all my scraps.


The chair is fabulously comfortable.............

..............as long as you want to sit looking at the ceiling.

Unfortunately it is NOT a good chair to sit in to watch telly while knitting as you end up getting a very sore neck as you try to keep your head facing forwards (not ceiling-wards).

But never mind.

It will be a very beautiful day-dreaming chair!

Finally, a very exciting sewing project arrived on my doorstep this morning......................

pattern-testing the fabulous Ernst!


Oh, how I love that tortoise and his heart-rending love story!


Locket xx

23 comments:

dottycookie said...

Your week is going to fly by with all those projects!

dragonfly said...

Lots of scrummy fabrics for me to drool over in this post!

My head is spinning with ideas for sewing now I have a shiny new sewing machine!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh how fun Locket! I LOVE the blue you've chosen for the quilt background - even though I, like you seem to be rather white obsessed these days. I blame it on the internet. Have fun with Ernst too -- he's adorable!

Jodie said...

I thought you said your holidays were for a week...not a month !!! How many things are you working on???

I can't wait to meet your Ernst...have you seen Jo's Elliot over on Lilly Pilly?? Ernst and Pebble are following with interest.

Gina said...

You are going to be busy! I love that zigzag quilt... I've got a thing about zigzags!

Jo in TAS said...

Looking forward to seeing your Ernst! Enjoy your Holiday!!

ladydi said...

There's nothing like the mention of a secret to make us all wonder WHAT you are up to in Locketland. Glad to hear you're back to quilting! I love quilt as you go, too, and do it A LOT! How cool that Ernst has come to your house to be tested. He gets around, doesn't he?

Mavis said...

Just a thimbleful...

Isn't it wonderful to get that urge to do something, an idea inside you just bursting to come out! When I am in that mode I don't want to stop and cook or do boring housework, just get on with creating.

periwinkle said...

jealous jealous jealous - I love Ernst !! Isn't it planting or digging time too lol

Michaela said...

Your mystery big secret project is for my 50th birhtday isn't it? You've got 6 years to go, so that will be plenty of time to get it finished won't it?!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

If I were you I'd get a big lock and get inside that pink room of yours for the week...you are going to need every minute of your time off to get everything done! :o) Look forward to seeing the pictures!! Enjoy your "holiday" :o)

Primrose Patch said...

Hi Lucy, I have been following your blog for a while now, but this is my first comment. I love your quilts and the delicious fabrics you use. You are inspiring me. I look forward to see Ernst finished, I have a William on the go. Good luck with the new job,it sounds great and will give you more time to be creative in your Pink Room.

French Knots said...

Goodness, a busy and creative week!
Hope the new dog is wonderful.xx

Jo said...

Gorgeous quilts, looking at them really makes me want to learn to quilt properly. The blue background for your current project looks beautiful with the Urban Chiks Sweet range - it's given me fabric-envy, did you get them from the US?
Hope you managed to make good progress on your vast to-do list!
Jo

Mrs Moog said...

First of all - my 50th birthday is before Michaela's so I know you're working on my present, not hers :o)

Second of all - crikey Locket, such industry!! This new job is going to be perfect if it makes you do that much sewing. Can't wait to see the finished projects and I totally agree with Anna about the blue for your quilt - beautiful :o)

xxx

sewtakeahike said...

you are busy, busy, busy Lucy! What a colorful week you've had with all those projects! I'm dying to see them done!

The List Writer said...

Well hello to you too!

Selvedge blocks are a genius idea...cannot tell you how long I have been thinking about Selvedge projects but not doing anything. A quilt block is a great as-you-go idea which I shall be copying shamelessly!

Jackie said...

Oh I want one of those chairs but I fear it would stand out like a sore thumb in my house.

sewkalico said...

Lovely things happening in Locketland!

julie said...

wow - you're quilting up a storm there! The blue backgoround is perfect and so pretty. Hope the start of the new job is going well - thinking of you.

Kelly Rachel said...

Phew that is a lot of ideas swimming around in your head. I know exactly how you feel. I hope you get heaps done so you can feel satisfied you spent your holidays well. :)

Ally Locket said...

I want one!

Lina said...

So much to comment on - where to start? Love the idea and look of what you have planned for the chair - can't wait to see what it turns out like!