Friday 11 May 2007

My First Quilt


This is the first proper quilt I made. It is from a design by Lynette Anderson of The Patchwork Angel and I started it when I was pregnant with my four (soon to be five) year old. I made and appliqued the top and then stuffed it in a bag for a couple of years until my friend Alison saw it and forced me to finish it! It's not very accurate but I do love it. The children like it because I have turned the characters into members of the family and they love telling visitors that Daddy is the Scarecrow! (well he's not very tidy at the best of times!!!). It is above the fireplace in the dining room which we can't paint as the plaster hasn't dried out in two years - oops! It is the only quilt I have done from a pattern - the rest are all "made up" and very simple and wonky and several are still in pieces in bags somewhere waiting for another friend to make me finish them!

I started out sewing "seriously" just before my second daughter was born. I had made my first daughter a knitted patchwork blanket, teddy, mobile and clothes and wanted to do something similar for No.2 - unfortunately with a toddler already in tow I just didn't have time to knit anything. Then I saw a pattern in a magazine for a seaside quilt. I wasn't confident enough to make a proper quilt but hit on the idea of using fleece and applique-ing pictures on to that - so this is the first (rather tatty) one I ever made.

I took it along to a craft fair at the last minute to bulk up my stall one Christmas and got an order from it and then proceeded to make dozens of different designs over the years - all personalised to suit the recipients and their families. The problem is that fleece isn't as exciting as proper patchwork fabric although I did have fun with all the different applique fabrics.

These are the children's and mine - rather scruffy, fairly grubby, but definitely well loved!


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucy, these are real labours of love, and sooo beautiful ! Your friend was sooo right to "push" you! Thanks for showing !
NADINE

julie said...

Wow - I love all of your quilts. I'm completely in awe of anyone who can sew so beautifully - it's not something I've ever mastered! Beautifully done!

Anonymous said...

OMG, these 2 new photos are still enhancing your works ! Beautiful, and sooo cute ! You should make a quilt with the allotment !

Higs & smiles !
NADINE

Anonymous said...

Lovely!
Lucia

Juliann in WA said...

Love that first quilt! I wasn't so ambitious with my first. I love the memories that these pieces invoke. Thanks for sharing them.

QuiltingFitzy said...

The "well loved" part is the ONLY part that counts!

Thanks for showing your history!

Quilter Kathy said...

That was funny about the children naming the characters on the quilt and making stories about them.
Great quilts!

Anonymous said...

lucy, I dont know if melly has already answered your questions but here goes... The fabric strips can be held in place with your fingers as you gently lay them under the sewing machine foot. If you hold them up to the light when they are in place, you should be able to see if they are in the correct position. I take my lowered ironing board and place it next to me as I sew. This way I dont have to get up to go to the ironing board each time a strip is done. I hope these tips help you a bit. Sorry I couldnt find a email address to send this to. All your other readers must think me a bit daft! I love your work and thoroughly enjoy your blog! Rosie.

weirdbunny said...

Your work is so neat !!
I'm concerned about above your fire place, is there water coming through somewhere that is stopping it from drying out.

I'd definately get your firts quilt framed as well - love Julia x

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

WOW, imprssive stuff.
Suzie Sews

andsewtosleep said...

Lovely quilts. I hope they will always be treasured. Mary

hannah said...

your quilts are lovely! isn't it nice to be able to look at them each day, and for your childrens ones to see how much they love them (often as they drag them about the garden...I know what thats like!!).

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy,
just to say Ben and Mary still love their quilts and Sarah likes them too. Whenever we go away they always come with us and believe it or not the Noah's Ark one is well loved too even though it still isn't finished. Hope you had a lovely holiday and Dorothy enjoyed her birthday. Lots of love Susan
xxxxx*

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting your lovely projects. I was searching the web for photos of farm quilts, and came across your first quilt. I love it! After seeing it, I ordered the pattern myself, but I like your color choices so much more I'm going to use your photo for guidance in picking my own.